I completed my 6 years of training in General Obstetrics and Gynaecology in Queensland before I attained subspecialty accreditation in Gynaecologic Oncology. This additional 4 years of training was completed in London, Sydney, Perth and Brisbane.
I have been a consultant at the Queensland Centre for Gynaecological Cancer for over 10 years and in 2013 I was appointed as an Associate Professor at the University of Queensland School of Medicine and also Chair of Gynaecology at Greenslopes Private Hospital.
My training includes expertise in advanced laparoscopic and Robotic surgery and general surgical skills required to undertake the safest and most effective gynaecological treatment available.
With over 10 years of consultant experience I have performed thousands of surgical procedures from hysterectomies for heavy periods through to radical debulking surgery for ovarian cancers.
This experience allows complete assessment through to treatment and follow up all within this practice, under my direct care. This means from problematic periods right through to cancer you will be comprehensively looked after.
Where appropriate the vast majority of surgeries are completed minimally invasively (keyhole, laparoscopically or robotically).
- 1990: Bachelor of Medicine/Bachelor of Surgery University of Queensland (MBBS)
- 1994: Diploma of Obstetrics and Gynaecology Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists (DRANZCOG)
- 1999: Membership of Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists (MRANZCOG)
- 2002: Fellowship of Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists (FRANZCOG)
- 2002: Graduate Certificate in Health (Palliative Care) Flinders University South Australia (GCH)
- 2005: Subspecialty Certification in Gynaecologic Oncology Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists (CGO)
Professional Memberships / Positions
- Fellow of the Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists
- General Medical Council Registered
- Member of the Australian Gynaecological Endoscopy Society
- Member of the Australian Pelvic Floor Surgery Group
- Member of the Australian Society of Gynaecologic Oncologists
- Fellow of the Goodenough Overseas Postgraduate Trust
- Member of Multidisciplinary Laparoscopic Group
- Member Queensland Cervical Screening Program Quality Management Committee
- Member of the Perioperative Services Committee Greenslopes Private Hospital
- Member & Consultant Queensland Centre for Gynaecological Cancer
- Co Investigator Queensland Centre for Gynaecological Cancer Research
- Associate Professor University of Queensland School of Medicine
- Director of Gynaecology Greenslopes Private Hospital
Additional Professional Activities & Contributions To The Profession
- Supervision, Teaching and Assessment of Advanced Surgical Fellows in Gynaecologic Oncology Subspecialty Training (RANZCOG National and International Fellowship Training) 2006-2015 ROYAL BRISBANE AND WOMENS HOSPITAL
- Dr Tom Walsh 2006-2008 Ireland
- Dr Kalyan Kumar Dhar 2006-2007 United Kingdom
- Dr Marcelo Carraro Nascimento 2006-2007 Brasil
- Dr Stuart Salfinger 2007-2008 Western Australia
- Dr Michael O'Leary 2007 Ireland
- Dr Piksi Singh 2007 South Australia
- Dr Graham Walker 2008-2009 Scotland
- Dr Petra Zusterzeel 2008 Netherlands
- Dr Jason Tan 2009-2010 Western Australia
- Dr Amy Tang 2009 Queensland
- Dr Paul Cohen 2010 New Zealand
- Dr Naven Chetty 2010-2011 New South Wales
- Dr Michael Bunting 2011 Tasmania
- Dr Kym Reid 2011 Victoria
- Dr Gahendra Raj Kader Ali Mohan 2011 Malaysia
- Dr Andreas Hackethal 2012-2013 Germany
- Dr Donal Brennan 2012-2013 Ireland
- Dr Vivek Arora 2012 Victoria
- Dr Archana Rao 2013 New South Wales
- Dr Nisha Jagasia 2014-15 New South Wales
- Dr Joanna Arnold 2014 Queensland
- Dr Adam Pendlebury 2014 Victoria
- Dr Murad Al Aker 2015 Jordan
- Dr Bianca Bryce 2015 Queensland
- Supervision, Teaching and Assessment of RANZCOG Registrar Trainees 2006-2015 (Including Research Project Supervision) 10/YEAR
- Medical Student Teaching/lectures/supervision University of Queensland – Herston Medical School 1996-2013 *Awarded excellence in teaching award 2012- UQ*
- Supervision, orientation and teaching of junior medical staff 1996-2013 (including invited Speaker for annual lecture on Ovarian Cancer RBWH campus 2007-2010)
- Instructor on Surgical Skills Course for National Surgical Trainees 2002, St Bartholomew’s Hospital, London UK
- Reviewer for Australian and New Zealand Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology
- Facilitator Queensland Institute of Minimally Invasive Surgery Advanced Laparoscopic Course 2004
- National Facilitator Anatomy of Complications Workshop Perth 2004/05/15
- Multidisciplinary Laparoscopic Group member Perth 2005,Brisbane 2008-15
- Consultant to Cancer Council of Western Australia
- Member Queensland Pap Smear Quality Committee 2008-15
- Member Perioperative Services Committee Greenslopes 2008-15
- Member Best Doctors Australasia (*Peer Invited) 2012-15
- National Examination reviewer for Subspecialty Certification in Gynaecologic Oncology RANZCOG 2010-2013
- Advanced Surgical Anatomy Course Instructor 2012-14 University of Queensland
- Head of Surgical Coding Committee Australian Society of Gyneacological Oncologists 2010-2015
- Syllabus Writer for Advanced Surgical Anatomy Course – University of Queensland 2012-13
- National and International Preceptor for Johnson & Johnson Surgical Education Council 2012-13
- National Conference Convenor Australian Society of Gynaecologic Oncologists Annual Meeting Darwin 2013 and invited speaker (Role of aortic node dissection in treatment of gynaecological cancers)
- Facilitator and Co-Director of Advanced Laparoscopic Surgery Course Qld Centre for Gyanecolgocial Cancer Teaching 2013-2015
- Kruger R , Higgins J, Land R, Rashford S, Fitzgerald B. ‘Emergency Eye Injuries : a randomised controlled trial’. Aust Fam Phys 1990 March; 19(3) 399
- Land R, Parry E, Rane A, Wilson D. ‘Personal Preferences of obstetricians towards childbirth’. Aust N Z J Obstet Gynaecol. 2001 Aug; 41(3):249-252. Presented as Poster and Oral presentation at Annual Scientific Meeting Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists, Cairns, Queensland, 2000 and also presented for Crown Street Medal at Combined Queensland/New South Wales Annual Scientific Meeting, Noosa, Queensland 2000 and as Poster at IUGA 26th annual congress Melbourne 2001
- Land R, Perrin L, Nicklin J. ‘Evaluation of restaging in clinical stage 1A low malignant potential ovarian tumours’.
Aust N Z J Obstet Gynaecol. 2002 Oct; 42(4): 379-82. Presented at Australian Society of Gynaecological Oncologists Annual Meeting, Cape Schanck, Victoria 2001
- Rao A, Land R, Carter J. ‘Management of Upper Gastrointestinal Obstruction in Advanced Ovarian Cancer with Intraluminal Stents’. Gyn Onc. 2004 Dec;95(3):739-41
- Land R, Carter J, Houghton R, Atkinson K, Dalrymple C. ‘Gynaecology meets Neurology : Paraneoplastic Cerebellar Degeneration’. Aust N Z J Obstet Gynaecol. 2005 Aug;45(1):79-81
- Neppe C, Land R, Obermair A ‘Wrigley forceps to deliver a bulky uterus following a total laparoscopic hysterectomy for endometrial cancer. Aust N Z J Obstet Gynaecol. 2005 Oct; 45(5): 444-5.
- Garrett AJ, Nicklin JL, Land R ‘ The use of an overlay autogenous tissue (OAT) patch to control intra-operative haemorrhage of the spleen. Gynecol Oncol. 2005 Oct;99(1):225-7
- Land R, et.al ‘Routine computerised tomography scanning, groin ultrasound with or without fine needle aspiration cytology in the surgical management of primary squamous cell carcinoma of the vulva’ Int J Gynecol Cancer Vol 2006 Jan-Feb;16(1):312-7
- Carter J, Sim J, Land R, Dalrymple C, Abdel-Hadi M, Pather S. ‘Recurrence after treatment for high grade dysplasia : should we modify our post-treatment surveillance protocols? Aust N Z J Obstet Gynaecol 2006 Aug;46(4):360-2
- Pak SC, Martens M, Bekkers R, Crandon AJ, Land R, Nicklin JL,Perrin LC, Obermair A ‘Pap smear screening history of women with squamous cell carcinoma and adenocarcinoma of the cervix’ Aust N Z J Obstet Gynaecol.2007 Dec;47(6):504-7
- Smith CJ, Heeren M, Nicklin JL, Perrin LC, Land R, Crandon AJ, Obermair A ‘Efficacy of routine follow up in patients with recurrent uterine cancer’ Gynecol Oncol 2007 Oct;107(1):124-9.Epub 2007 Jul25
- eMiMs Chapter ‘Cervical Cancer’ 2007
- Nicklin J, Perrin L, Crandon A ,Land R,Nascimento M, Obermair A ‘Re: Guidelines for the use of recombinant activated factor VII in massive obstetric haemorrhage’ Aust N Z J Obstet Gynaecol.2008 Aug;48(4): 447
- Obermair A, Cheuk R, Pak SC, Perrin L, Nicklin J, Crandon A, Land R, Chennakes SK, Janda M, Tripcony L ‘Disease-free Survival after vaginal vault brachytherapy versus observation for patients with node negative intermediate risk endometrial adenocarcinoma’ Gynecol Oncol.2008 Sep;110(3):280-5
- Kondalsamy-Chennakesavan S, Bouman C, De Jong S, Sanday K, Nicklin J, Land R, Obermair A ‘Clinical audit in gynecological cancer surgery: Development of a risk scoring system to predict adverse events’
- Janda M, Gebski V, Brand A, Hogg R, Jobling TW, Land R, Manolitsas T, McCartney A, Nascimento M, Neesham D, Nicklin JL, Oehler MK, Otton G, Perrin L, Salfinger S, Hammond I, Leung Y, Sykes P, Ngan H, Garrett A, Laney M, Ng TY, Tam K, Chan, K, Wrede CD, Pather S, Simcock B, Farrell R, Obermair A ‘Quality of life after total laparoscopic hysterectomy versus total abdominal hysterectomy for stage 1 endometrial cancer (LACE) : a randomised trial’ Lancet Oncol 2010 Aug;11(8):772-80. Epub 2010 Jul 16
- Fearnley EJ, Marquart L, Spurdle AB, Weinstein P, Webb PM; Australian Ovarian Cancer Study Group and Australian National Endometrial Cancer Study Group (Land R, Collaborator) ‘Polycystic ovary syndrome increases the risk of endometrial cancer in women aged less then 50 years: an Australian case-control study’ Cancer Causes Control 2010 Dec;21(12):2303-8.Epub 2010 Oct 17
- Kondalsamy-Chennakesavan S, van Vugt S, Sanday K, Nicklin J, Land R, Perrin L, Crandon A, Obermair A. Evaluation of tumor-free distance and depth of myometrial invasion as prognostic factors for lymph node metastases in endometrial cancer.Int J Gynecol Cancer. 2010 Oct;20(7):1217-21.
- Kondalsamy-Chennakesavan S,Gordon LG, Sanday K, Bouman C, De Jong S, Nicklin J, Land R, Obermair A ‘Hospital Costs Associated with adverse events in gynaecological oncology’ Gynecol Oncol. 2010 Dec 16
- Nicklin J, Janda M, Gebski V, Jobling T, Land R, Manolitsas T, McCartney A, Nascimento M, Perrin L, Baker JF, Obermair A The utility of serum CA-125 in predicting extra-uterine disease in apparent early-stage endometrial cancer. Int J Cancer. 2012 Aug 15;131(4):885-890. doi: 10.1002/ijc.26433. Epub 2011 Nov 19.
- Kondalsamy-Chennakesavan S, Yu C, Kattan MW, Leung Y, Sykes P, Nascimento M, Nicklin J, Perrin L, Crandon A, Chetty N, Land R, Garrett A, Obermair A. Nomograms to predict isolated loco-regional or distant recurrence among women with uterine cancer. Gynecol Oncol. 2012 Jun;125(3):520-5. Epub 2012 Feb 22.
- Tan J, Chetty N, Kondalsamy-Chennakesavan S, Crandon A, Garrett A, Land R, Nascimento M, Nicklin J, Perrin L, Obermair A. Validation of the FIGO 2009 staging system for carcinoma of the vulva.. Int J Gynecol Cancer. 2012 Mar;22(3):498-502.
- Kondalsamy-Chennakesavan S, Janda M, Gebski V, Baker J, Brand A, Hogg R, Jobling TW, Land R, Manolitsas T, Nascimento M, Neesham D, Nicklin JL, Oehler MK, Otton G, Perrin L, Salfinger S, Hammond I, Leung Y, Sykes P, Ngan H, Garrett A, Laney M, Ng TY, Tam K, Chan K, Wrede DH, Pather S, Simcock B, Farrell R, Robertson G, Walker G, McCartney A, Obermair A. Risk factors to predict the incidence of surgical adverse events following open or laparoscopic surgery for apparent early stage endometrial cancer: Results from a randomised controlled trial. Eur J Cancer. 2012 Apr 12.
- Obermair A, Janda M, Baker J, Kondalsamy-Chennakesavan S, Brand A, Hogg R, Jobling TW, Land R, Manolitsas T, Nascimento M, Neesham D, Nicklin JL, Oehler MK, Otton G, Perrin L, Salfinger S, Hammond I, Leung Y, Sykes P, Ngan H, Garrett A, Laney M, Ng TY, Tam K, Chan K, Wrede DH, Pather S, Simcock B, Farrell R, Robertson G, Walker G, McCartney A, Gebski V. Improved surgical safety after laparoscopic compared to open surgery for apparent early stage endometrial cancer: results from a randomised controlled trial. Eur J Cancer. 2012 May;48(8):1147-53
- Hackethal A, Brennan DJ, Land R, Nascimento M, Nicklin J, Obermair A.Feasibility and outcomes of ureteroureterostomy and extravesical ureteroneocystostomy as part of radical surgery for infiltrating gynecologic disease.Int J Gynecol Cancer. 2013 Jul;23(6):1139-45. doi: 10.1097/IGC.0b013e3182993790
- Mowat A, Land R.Adenoma Malignum Presenting as Urinary Incontinence.Int Urogynecol J. 2014 Feb [Epub ahead of print]
- Baker J, Janda M, Graves N, Bauer J, Banks M, Garret A, Chetty N, Crandon AJ, Land R, Nascimento M, Nicklin JL,Perrin LC,Obermair A Quality of life after early enteral feeding versus standard of care for proven or suspected advanced epithelial ovarian cancer :Results from a randomized trial.Gynecol Oncol.2015 Mar 28 S0090-8258 (15)00776-3